Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Fall's Dress Rehearsal

I have heard it said that a person is naturally drawn to the time and season that they were born. Well I don't know if that is true, but I do know I love fall and that happens to be the season of my birth. Today was a beautiful preview. A promise that the earth WILL cool, that the air WILL get crisper clearer. Soon we will smell chimney smoke and crave rich hearty food. It's as if the body knows we need to store up for the long winter. I feel the yearnings for a "Fall/Winter" book.

Summer reads are light, airy, easy to put down and pick right back up without losing the thread of the story. Kind of like fruit, sandwiches, and salads.  Fall and Winter books are meaty and rich with complicated story lines and fully developed characters. Like stew, chili and roast. They are usually epics. A big ole book that you can snuggle down and read for hours. I have browsed Barnes and Noble for the new releases coming soon...but alas haven't seen my "winter" book yet. One of the best "winter" books I have read is, "Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon. You might have noticed her name on my favorite author list. WOW how I love this book. It is a
  1. Love story- whew, some of the "intimate" scenes are pretty risque
  2. Mystery- The main character travels through time to the 1500's
  3. Historical- Takes place in Scotland (think Braveheart)
  4. Series- yes that is right...you know me I am a sucker for a series. So far it is the first in 7 books.
  5. It will be a movie. They have already started working on it.

I'm not doing this book justice...all I can say is that any one I have ever talked into reading it LOVED it. It is a long one at 640 pages but they are pages that fly. Don't be afraid of BOB (big ole books). How many times have you finished a book and wished there were more pages! Besides, if you wanna be a "Fall/Winter" book lover, you have to read BOB!

1 comment:

Cheri said...

OK, now I'm going to have to read this book! I have three books backed up.