Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Tending Roses


This beautiful lady was my Granny, Martha Delena Scroggins. 

For those of us who have that special relationship with their Grandmother, you know what I mean when I say she was one of the most remarkable woman I will ever know. I was fortunate enough to grow up with her in our home my whole life. She was my secret keeper, my playmate, my teacher, my everything. She taught me and my sister how to do so many things with patience and love. There are too many stories to tell here, but some of my fondest memories are working with her in her garden. She taught me to dig in the dirt, to love the smell of rain, and to hold a wriggly worm. She loved daffodils, morning glories, and violets.
Barnes and Noble
That is why when I finished reading "Tending Roses" I sat right down, and through my tears, immediately wrote the author. I have never done that before but this book touched me so, I had to tell her how much it meant to me. To my surprise she wrote me back.
"Tending roses" is about a Grandmother and her granddaughter's relationship brought together in the twilight of the grandmothers life as they tend her roses as well as the garden of life. It explores the irreplaceable value that our elders can give to society with their wisdom, patience and love.
Lisa Wingate (Google)
I have recommended this book more often than any other book I have ever read. The author is Lisa Wingate and as you can plainly see, I am one of her biggest fans. She is a fellow Okie, and went to school down the road at a little university called Oklahoma State ( I try not to hold that against her :). She has a terrific website at http://www.lisawingate.com/.

If you had a grandma, if you are a grandma, or if you want to be a grandma.....Please read this book.


My two angels (Both Marthas) who are in Heaven watching over me (that's me on the right)

No comments: