Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Kindle vs. Kindle Fire vs. IPad

Got my new Kindle Fire this past weekend and I simply LOVE it! True to it's advertisement it was ready straight out of the box. It had all the books that I had previously purchased for my original Kindle on it and was ready to read. Since the Kindle Fire was developed to compete with the IPad, everyone has been asking me which they should buy. Here are some of my observations. I by no means pretend that I am technologically savy. (In fact, I had to spell check technologically!)


(left to right) IPad, Kindle Fire, original Kindle

  • If all you want to do is read.... Get the Kindle, plain and simple for $79.
  • If your primary use will be reading but want to check your emails, browse the internet, and do a little social networking....You need the Kindle Fire. It was made for reading so the screen is superior to the IPad. I would not be able to read an entire book on the IPad. It is like a computer and it hurts my eyes after a short time. I can read my Kindle all day long (and often have, lol) and no eye strain.

    (left to right) Kindle Fire and the original Kindle
  • If the primary purpose of the device is for the internet with reading secondary...then get the IPad. It has a data plan so that you are connected to the internet where ever you go. The Kindle Fire works on WiFi only.
  • The IPad is about 2x larger than the Kindle Fire. Could be a good thing such as when your watching a movie...but could also be a bad thing such as when your trying to put it in your purse.
  • 
    (left to right) IPad and the Kindle Fire
    
  • The IPad is uncomfortable to hold for reading. The Kindle Fire feels like a book.
  • They both have the ability to play music (MP3, Pandora, Itunes), purchase apps and games, and rent or purchase movies.
  • The memory on the Kindle Fire is on the "cloud" or internet so it is unlimited. You can down load to the device but memory is limited.
  • The memory on the IPad is on the device...the amount depends on the IPad you purchase. More memory more dinero!
  • Speaking of money...the Kindle Fire wins big time here!
Kindle= $79     Kindle Fire= $199     IPad= $499-$829   

As I said earlier, I am no expert in technology. These are just some of my observations. After all I can barely plug in my curling iron. I will say this, I have had my Kindle Fire for four days and can navigate it pretty well. I am extremely happy with my purchase and I when I showed it to an IPad lover...I thought I saw some shades of envy!

No comments: