Saturday, August 20, 2011

How Does Your Garden Grow Part 5

I've been avoiding this...but I realize you have been waiting anxiously for the next installment so here it is.
A miserable failure thus far! Leave it to me to pick THE hottest, THE driest, record setting summer EVER to try to grow a garden and blog about it to boot.


Simply put my garden is a
fruitless
woolly mess








...and it is freaking me out just a little because it's growing these weird looking alien-like appendages
I saw nothing remotely like this in
Ed's "Vegetable Gardner's Bible".

To date I have harvested the following:

  • A plethora of radish and eggplant(one I don't like and the other I don't know what to do with)
  • One very small basket of yellow squash
  • Two cantaloupe
  • A handful of tomatoes
  • No beans
  • No cucumbers
  • No bell peppers

  • A swarm of grasshopper

  • One very nice sized rabbit








  • and three unexpected skunks
So I am cutting my losses and my water bill, waving the white flag....

But wait!
  1. The weatherman says Oklahoma has not recorded 100 degree days after August.
  2. We have had several days of rain lately.
  3. I spotted a nice looking bloom on the cantaloupe vine and the tomato plants are still living. 
I'll give it just one more month....


Besides, the grass in the alley has never looked so good!!

1 comment:

Cheri said...

Maybe next year! :)